"You have nothing in this world more precious than your children. When you grow old, when your hair turns white and your body grows weary, when you are prone to sit in a rocker and meditate on the things of your life, nothing will be so important as the question of how your children have turned out. It will not be the money you have made. It will not be the cars you have owned. It will not be the large house in which you live. The searing question that will cross your mind again and again will be, How well have my children done?"

~President Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

RSV=Really Sucky Virus



That pretty much sums up what we've done this past weekend. Lilee had her 4month well baby check on Tuesday of last week. Everything checked out but when they listened to her breathing they noticed she had a slight wheeze. WELL...that slight wheeze turned into a full on breathing CRISIS on Friday evening. OF COURSE it would happen the night that Seth was camping with the scouts...but not even camping...he had hiked 5 miles to the campsite from where they left the cars, so he couldn't get back to his car until the morning when other people came to join the group. Uhhhhg, so thanks to a great friend who took Keat, I ventured to Goodnight Pediatrics. There, they swabbed her nose-pretty much stuck a long Q-tip half a finger up her nose...not fun for a 4 month old-and diagnosed her with RSV! Basically, it is a respiratory virus that in older kids and adults is just a cold/cough. But, in babies 6 months and younger it can be VERY SERIOUS! SO, after her O2 levels all checked out they sent me home with the "reassuring" advice to, "Just watch her and if she stops breathing or begins to turn blue take her back in"! Ahhhh, yeah, if my baby stops breathing I think I'll rush her to the ER, not to GOODNIGHT PEDIATRICS! Idiots! NEways, it was a looooooooooong, sleeepless night, followed by 2 more sleepless nights and here we are...still with difficulty breathing, and LOTS of meds, but a HAPPY little girl who although has developed a great need to be CONTINUOUSLY entertained, has really been such a trooper!! She is showing signs of getting better and I am told that she is no longer contagious. I think we'll still go forth with Keat's birthday party on Saturday, but I am not taking her anywhere until then. RSV=REALLY SUCKY VIRUS!!

5 comments:

kimber said...

So many babies I know have gotten RSV this winter, what's up with that? Luckily Madix got over it in like 3 days. I hope Lilee is better soon, did they give you a breathing machine? I think that really helped.
The site for bracelets is banglebug.com. I see her all the time so if you do want some just let me know and I can get them for you.

Moss Family said...

ahhhh...Tate has RSV too...I would have to agree...REALLY SUCKY VIRUS!!!! Your kids are totally cute though! We are to get see each other soon!!

Kristi said...

SCARY!!!!! WE are so glad she is doing better!

andreamatrix said...

I have my own horror story from Goodnight Pediatrics that cost me to the tune of $700 for two kids who I knew had strep.... Grrr. They are idiots.

Knights said...

Hope Lilee is feeling better! Gosh I can't believe you had to go throw all that from the pediatics. Can't wait to see you Sat - should be loads of fun :-)