"You have nothing in this world more precious than your children. When you grow old, when your hair turns white and your body grows weary, when you are prone to sit in a rocker and meditate on the things of your life, nothing will be so important as the question of how your children have turned out. It will not be the money you have made. It will not be the cars you have owned. It will not be the large house in which you live. The searing question that will cross your mind again and again will be, How well have my children done?"

~President Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Will the SICKIES ever CEASE!?

Man o man...what a year for the yuckies...at least at our house! We've seen the Flu, Coughs, RSV, Strep Throat, Colds, Rashes, Diarrhea, and now an Ear Infection!! Keat spent the day WHINING yesterday to no avail from me or anybody for that matter. Of course, when daddy came home he followed him around saying "Daddy, daddy" with his arms outstretched! The SECOND Seth picked him up he cheered RIGHT UP!! But, we had already made the Dr's appt for this morning, so we made the drive to the Dr's this morning and sure enough...Keat has "one of the worst ear infections I've(the Dr.) ever seen"! WOW...I would probably whine if my ear hurt so bad also. Can't blame to poor kid. So, after we get some antibiotics in him today he should start to feel better! Here's hoping! I asked the Dr. when she expected things to settle down and she thought that by the end of March things should be better...again...here's hoping!! I'll probably even go as far as to pray that this is true...we just wanna be WELL!!!


Not a lot has gone on in the Becker house besides trying to keep Keat and Lilee from catching or sharing whatever is out there! Lilee still adores Keat and Keat, thankfully, still adores his baby sister! We have a hearing evaluation next Tuesday for Keat to see if there is any reason (hearing) why he isn't talking more. The Dr. didn't think there was a problem, but I just want to be sure. I'd hate to find out 6 months down the road that my poor kid wasn't hearing things correctly and set him back further! I, or course, am hoping nothing shows up...but I just want to be able to communicate with my little man. I hate to compare...but it's hard with so many little kiddos his age running around speaking full sentences and bartering with their parents. Some know the alphabet, others can count to ten. Keat doesn't even know his animals. It worries me to think that I may have failed him already...at 2! Am I not teaching him the things he should or working with him enough?! Do I let him watch too much TV? Are those other kids ahead or is Keat behind? Will he catch up? Ahhhh, it's enough to make me go insane. I just keep praying that one day he'll just start talking to me and then I can know that he was just being stubborn. Right now, I just use that as my fall back..."oh, I just think he's being stubborn, but really he knows all the things we tell him". I'm not sure I believe it anymore!


WOW, that was a real bummer post. Sorry...but that is definitely the thing foremost on my mind at the moment! Say a little prayer for us that Keat will start to say, Please, Thank-You, Sorry, I love you, and all the other in between things that we so desperately want to hear!! THANKS!


Here are a couple recent photos of my mute, BUT ADORABLE, little man!! I love you Keat!





8 comments:

threecrazykids said...

I feel so bad for you guys!!! We've been really sick as well. I went to the doctor and found out I have a double ear infection plus a sinus infection.....no wonder I was walking around in a daze. I know how Keaton feels...it hurts so much to even think. I just feel so much for these little guys that can't express the pain. (and the mommies that have to listen to the endless crying) Get better soon!!!
Rochelle

Donna said...

I'm sorry that your little family is going through so much. I hope everything goes well with Keat; as far as hearing goes. From my own experience (having two sisters who have kids near the same age), comparing kids is the worst! Who cares what other kids are doing?! You're an awesome mom Nikki and you love your children. That's what matters. By the way, I love messy face pictures. So Cute! (sorry for the book) :)

Mandi said...

We have definetly had our share of the yukkies too! I swear every other week we have to keep Benjamin home from Nursery. Now as for the talking, this is my opinion. (you may have heard this from others, maybe not) Boys supposedly talk later than girls. Benjamin was early at everything and Chris is constantly comparing Brooke with him. He forgets that Benjamin did everything early. Anyways I am sure that if Keaton understands what you say that he just hasn't developed the desire to form him own sounds and words yet. As for t.v I am sure that has nothing to do with it, because Benjamin watched and still watches a lot of t.v. I hope that you recieve some comfort and ease on the matter soon.

Elise&Dan said...

Sorry you all have been so sick! That is never fun. I am sure Keaton will end up being just fine, but it's normal to worry. Mason did not talk as quickly as Abree did. Boys do talk slower than girls, if that brings any comfort. As hard as it may be, try not to compare. kids are soooo different! I know you are a great mom!

nat said...

Hey Nikki, I love your posts and your pictures. Your children are so beautiful. Keat will start talking when he wants to. He knows right now that you know what he needs and is comfortable with that. About being sick, I think that Mags has been sick three weeks out of Zoii's four weeks of life, poor kid. It's always something right.

andreamatrix said...

I'm diggin the beard and mustache. (Though I don't miss Jerry's too much!) I really, really hope you all get feeling better soon!

kimber said...

Nikki you're an awesome mom! Don't ever doubt that. People ask me what I did to help Tyler talk so good, and really it's nothing that any other mom doesn't do. And yes she watches tons of TV. (I personally think that helped her learn words). Each kid is different and I have no doubt that Keaton will be on the same level as Tyler in a year or 2. Don't even worry about it and just enjoy the addorable little boy you have.

Mark and Karen said...

I have a nephew who didn't say anything up to the age of three. A little after he turned three he started talking and not just a few words but full sentences. He always could understand what was going on aroung him, he just didn't want to talk. "Normal" is anywhere from before the age of one to after 3 years of age so no worries. I do think checking out his ears is a great idea. If anything, it will bring peace of mind. And if there is a problem, finding out is better sooner then later. You are a great mom, don't ever doubt that!