"You have nothing in this world more precious than your children. When you grow old, when your hair turns white and your body grows weary, when you are prone to sit in a rocker and meditate on the things of your life, nothing will be so important as the question of how your children have turned out. It will not be the money you have made. It will not be the cars you have owned. It will not be the large house in which you live. The searing question that will cross your mind again and again will be, How well have my children done?"

~President Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Three's Company...

What I've learned in the last 4 weeks.
*
~Three kids IS different than two kids
~Your older children will surprise you when the new baby arrives...in good AND not so good ways
~Little girls who are sassy BEFORE the new baby, will be more sassy AFTER the new baby
~Big brothers are AWESOME the second time around
~Big SISTERS think they are MOMS when the new baby comes
~Having a new baby will "fix" any sleep problems with older children...probably because you are so tired you don't have the energy to do anything except let them fix it themselves
~You can fall in love with your husband all over again when you watch the baby pee all over him and he laughs
~Getting no sleep at night with three kids is VERY VERY different than getting no sleep at night with one or two kids
~Two children will reak HAVOC in the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living room, etc. when unattended
~Whether you remember or forgot, POOP WILL STAIN...even your brand new luxury sheets
~The grocery store is a scary place with three children 3 yrs and younger...and a place where people WILL look at you like you are the next Octo-mom
~Dr. Jeckyl is REAL...come to my house about 3am and you'll find HER mumbling obscurities at her husband
~Mrs. Hyde WILL return each morning to apologize to her husband...but beware of the no sleep monster again each evening
~Baby eye balls are INTERESTING and MUST BE TOUCHED by 1 year old little girls...who think they are mommies...and are sassy
~Two hours of sleep isn't enough to function normally...I didn't say you can't FUNCTION at all...just not normally
~The word "NO" means NOTHING when you are tied up with the baby..."NO, don't take your sisters diaper off, she's not potty trained"..."No, don't squirt your go-gurt ALL OVER THE carpet"..."NO, stop hitting your sister, biting your brother, scribbling on the wall, scribbling on your face, flooding the bathroom floor, etc."
~A sweet baby makes it ALL WORTH IT!
*
My sweet little man is FOUR WEEKS OLD TODAY!! Where has the time gone?! He'll be a month old on Friday...so sad! He's already gaining TONS of weight and chunkin up like Becker's do!! He has pretty much slept through his first 4 weeks of life. He WOULD sleep at night also except that the second we put him down he gets restless. We're working on the sleep issues and enjoying his little CALM personality start to shine. He is DEFINITELY laid back, as I've heard the 3rd child always is! He lets his older brother and sister poke, kiss, and love on him most of the time. He just began to smile...mostly when he's tired...and it's adorable! He's losing lots of his hair already and his eyes are turning blue. He really is just the sweetest little guy ever!
*
Keaton and Lilee have been overall GREAT with him. They get in his face a lot, but as I mentioned, he doesn't seem to mind most days. He has been stepped on already, and surprisingly took it really well!
*
Keaton is an AMAZING big brother. He wanted NOTHING to do with Lilee until she was about a year old and this time he just can't WAIT for Broox to "get big". For the first 3 weeks, EVERY TIME Keat woke from a nap or in the morning, he'd ask us..."Is Broox big yet...he play cars now...he walk with me?" Seth even caught him a couple times talking to Broox in his bassinet..."Say da-da...c'mon...say da-da". Too cute. He helps with EVERYTHING...wants to feed him, hold him, protect him. If I put Broox on the ground, he'll immediately go over and lay by him and make sure if his paci falls out to put it back in his mouth. He spends so much time just staring at him...so do I! He's an INCREDIBLE little guy. He's also really starting to learn and recognize his letters. He LOVES his ABC pre-school and all his friends. The week after Broox was born, they took a field trip to Peter Piper Pizza to learn about the letter "P". I packed all three kiddos up and we headed over...quite the accomplishment for me. The other day he found a piece of trash that looked like the letter "J" and showed me. He is talking a TON more and I can see an end in sight from the TERRIBLE 3's that started so badly. He's such a sweet boy and everywhere we go people tell me how loving he is. He'll come right up to ya and give you a hug, whether he knows you or not. On a daily basis since Broox has come he will tell us he loves us, very randomly. WE LOVE YOU TOO KEAT BEAT!!
*
Lilee is a DIVA...sass-a-frass...cute as a button little snot!!:) She is such a mommy to Broox...wanting to SHOVE his binkie or bottle in his mouth whether he wants it or not. For a girl who was VERY used to getting her way, things have started to change. Luckily, she doesn't seem to make the connection between baby and change. She loves Broox a TON. However, her tantrums have increased and she gets a LOT more emotional lately. We've had to put our foot down on some behavior that was acceptable before but now is just too much. She hits, bites, and SCREAMS "NO". She's adjusting. She really is SO cute with Broox too though. She asks where he is whenever she wakes from a nap. She is talking a TON already and communicates so well. She even knows some of her colors...she's our little smarty pants. I can't wait till she is a BIT older and can have girls days with me and all the girls in our family. It'll be fun to have just us 'gals' hang out and leave the brothers at home! WE ADORE YOU PRINCESS!
*
Seth and I are adjusting as well. It hasn't been too big of a change so far...especially because Broox sleeps so much. The nighttime lack of sleep is a bit much for both of us. Seth is such a good husband and daddy, very willing to help me at night with feedings and such. I know ladies, I picked a winner! He also works VERY hard at work to support our growing family and comes home each evening to children running into his arms. His kids ADORE him...and so do I! Just before Broox was born Seth was called as the new Young Men's' President in our ward. It is a very demanding calling, one that will take him from home and require much of his time. I'm learning to be more independent and Seth is learning to be more proactive and assertive. All are great qualities that we are grateful to learn. ;) This calling truly is a blessing and I know Seth will be a great leader to the boys in our church. My days are long, but more rewarding than I ever knew they could be. My house is a disaster, but my children love me. Dinner is rarely made on time or at all, but my marriage is strong. The world is a challenging and cynical place, but I have great faith. I AM SO BLESSED!
*
Some pictures for your viewing pleasure...
*
What cute little munchkins

She UBER loves her little brother

Broox had really bad jaundice when he was born and had to have the Bili-Blanket for a few days...here is my little pumpkin baking away!

The kids have had to get creative these last few weeks. We didn't know they got naked for quite some time...stinkers.

Here is Broox' first bath...yeah...he SLEPT THROUGH IT...what kid does that?! He didn't even wake up once. Keat was SO excited to "help"

We've taken MANY trips to the park lately too. Mainly mom needs to get out of the house and go somewhere that the kids can let out some energy!

Lilee playing in the water...she's such a cutie!

Broox...is he just not the CUTEST little man ever...look at those CHEEKS!!!!

10 comments:

stef80 said...

I'm a little nervous about three. I'm glad things are going well. You have such a good attitude about Seth's calling.

Rochelle said...

LOVEIT!!! Cute pictures and great post! Thanks for the laugh!

Moss Family said...

Your kiddos are ADORABLE!!! I have been waiting for updates....so yay, thanks! You are a fabulous mommie!

Rachel said...

all I have to say is AMEN!! HANG IN THERE SWEETIE....IT GETS BETTER!!

Moore said...

I couldn't have said it any better! I know exactly how you feel with 3 little ones under the age of 3. I'm in that boat...well, the oldest is 4 now but she was 3 when my youngest was born a year ago. I like the part about "no" doesn't mean a thing when they know you can't physically stop them because you're attending to the baby!! :)

Cody, Angela, Jacob, Aidan and . . . said...

Nikki,
He is adorable!!! I hope I have a chance to meet him before he is out of the cute newborn stage. It's amazing how fast they grow!!!! ;-) I'd also love to hear more on your take with three. What you wrote sounds very familiar. ;-)

Kristi said...

Oh - I sooo hear ya! Although I thoughgt 3 was not bad.... but 4 is kinda freaking me out:) The kids are all going NUTS! ;)

andreamatrix said...

I love your kids! I was one of those, drop your clothes when mom's not looking. Then I would take off down the street on my purple trike with the purple pom pom handlebars.... Ah, good times...

Ren & Anna said...

You're so funny!! But man, what a trip! I feel busy with one. Sad! You're a trooper and have all the most importamt things under control. Yay you!!!!

Elise&Dan said...

Congrats on 3! It will be my turn in a few months to be "three's company". I'm really nervous!!