"You have nothing in this world more precious than your children. When you grow old, when your hair turns white and your body grows weary, when you are prone to sit in a rocker and meditate on the things of your life, nothing will be so important as the question of how your children have turned out. It will not be the money you have made. It will not be the cars you have owned. It will not be the large house in which you live. The searing question that will cross your mind again and again will be, How well have my children done?"

~President Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

UPDATES...

Lots of catch up to do...


So much has been going on and we've been so busy that it's been difficult finding the time to post as much as I'd like. Here's my BEST attempt to catch everyone up on the Becker's! Check back in a day or so for pictures!!


SETH: After not getting the job in WA, we were pretty bummed about our prospects and about advancing at UOP(university of Phoenix). We had faith that things would work out, but admittedly, not the faith we should have had. Lesson Learned. Two weeks ago, Seth was called into his boss' boss' office to "chat". He figured that another management position was opening up and they were considering him for an interview or something of the sort. The NEXT day, the managers were all having a meeting and asked Seth to join them, joked around a little, and then after Seth showed signs of confusion, told Seth that the current enrollment team he was on was splitting into two teams and if he wanted the position...HE WAS THE NEW MANAGER. What a blessing. It is the best possible scenario in that there was NO interview...NO new team to prove himself towards...and NO new managers to figure out. It truly is the best outcome and we feel so blessed and humbled that things worked out so well. It was a reminder to us that our Heavenly Father is always aware of us and our situations. While we still would LOVE to get out of AZ, we have ALWAYS felt it was necessary for Seth to have management experience to add to his resume to better his chances in the marketing/advertising career field. We have learned to put certain priorities first, such as family and our relationship with Heavenly Father and everything else will be taken care of. Seth is enjoying his new position and Nikki is getting used to the longer hours. We both know it is the best thing for us at this time in our lives!!:) At least we know where we'll be for the next year for sure and possibly longer.
*
NIKKI: Can you teach an old dog new tricks? That is the question I've been asking myself. I think I have decided that I would like to pursue a nursing degree. The semester before starting my student teaching I told Seth that I didn't EVER want to teach...he made me finish my degree! I am grateful for that push(I am so happy to have a completed degree) however, I would like to have something I enjoy to fall back on if I need to. I've thought about my options for a LooooooooooooONG time and I truly think I would really love nursing. More specifically, I would love to be a labor and delivery or NICU nurse. However, both of those have the longest "intern" program. I have a friend who is a NICU nurse and has given me lots to think about. Right now we are trying to decide if it is in our families best interest for me to pursue this desire NOW or wait until our kids are older. Anybody have any experience in nursing?! I'm looking for any advice you've got!
*
KEATON: The stitches are out!!! YEAH!! Stay tuned for pictures. He still has some obvious scarring, but we are hoping Mederma will clear that up! He doesn't seem to be AFRAID of dogs. He talks about when "the dog bite his owie"...when the dog bit his nose and gave him an owie!! However, he doesn't get scared when he sees dogs and really doesn't seem bothered by them at all, thank goodness. He's been a trooper and we are glad that saga is over!!:) He is such a fun little guy. He is talking more lately and truly is coming a LOoooooooNG way. I think we will try REALLY hard starting Monday to get the kid potty trained. It's time. Mom's ready, Dad's ready, and we're just hoping Keat's ready!!:) TIPS??!! I'm scared. I was scared about potty training when I found out we were pregnant!!! :) Really. NE one wanna do it for me?!
*
LILEE: Well, we had a visit with the pediatric urologist on Tuesday. She indeed has kidney reflux. After talking about our options, we agreed that it would be best for Lilee to have a surgery called DEFLUX to correct the problem. It's an outpatient surgery and we have one of the BEST pediatric urologists working on her. Of course, ANY SURGERY is scary, and we are nervous...but as I mentioned, we feel it is best. She has to be closer to the age of one in order to have bladder surgery so she won't get it done until September. Until then she will be on antibiotics to keep her from getting more kidney infections/urinary tract infections. Apparently she has this reflux on BOTH sides which is pretty rare. Without the meds, the Dr. said she would definitely get sick again before the surgery, so we are doing our best to get her to choke down the meds each day. She is PRO at shaking her head at me when she sees it coming and is even better at spitting, gagging, or down right throwing it up within minutes. OH THE JOYS!! We'll survive. Aside from difficulty taking medicine...she is a DOLL!! She's this close to walking...but just hasn't figure it out yet. I think in another month or so maybe! Her and Keat are SO cute when they play now...they just laugh at each other all day...I love it!!
*
SO, that's the latest and greatest! We're busy, but lovin' life and enjoying our family. We will most likely put our home up for sale sometime after summer is over. With the price of homes so low we might as well take advantage if we can sell our house. And, if we can't, no big deal! We do need to get into something bigger eventually, but we have the time. If you know anyone who wants to move...send them our way. :) We are also hoping to buy a minivan sometime soon...of course that means we are also hoping to get pregnant soon to add to that minivan. We'd love it if we were expecting by 2009. Life is krazy, why not add another baby to the mix?!! :) As I keep mentioning...keep an eye out for pictures. I need to get them posted soon...so check back!!

18 comments:

Kristi said...

1. Seths job - that is Awesome!!! It is amazing the things that happen whaen you least expect it!
2. Nursing. It is what I want to do when the kids are older as well. My friend Meredith is a Labor and Delivery Nurse and another friend, Jenni is NICU. I bet either of them would have great input for you. (they are on my link list)
3. Poor guy! I am glad he is doing so much better though. For Russ One morning I just told him that his diapers were gone forever and he had to be a big boy now. We only had 1 accident I think. I hope it goes so well for you! :) I think the biggest tip though is be consistant. If you give in and put on a diaper then it is like you don't have confidence in them (to the kiddo). Does that make sence?
4. Lilee - oh goodness, poor sweetie! WE will keep her in our prayers!!!
I wish I had known you wanted a Minivan - we would have given you a great deal on ours - it even had the DVD and was sooo nice (just not in Flag in the winter... (especially when you live on an unmaintained dirt road). Good luck with the house sale and the baby hopes! :)
Love ya!

Rochelle said...

Lilee is gonna get the same surgery my cousin's little girl had. It is a very simple surgery and turns out SOOOO great once its over and done with. Definitely keeps the little girls lots happier. Congrats on the new job position!!!!!! I think nursing is a great idea, but I think its hard when your kids are small. Ask Amina Willard about that! Kyler was 2 when she went to school. Anyway, good luck selling your house and getting baby number 4 on the way!

Donna said...

You know what I love about you Nikki? Any time I'm feeling a little down on things I just have to go to your blog and I'm all better. You ALWAYS have a positive attitude and I LOVE it!! You're such a great example of what real patience and endurance is. THANK YOU!! Oh, and congrats to Seth, good luck to you and keep getting better Keaton and Lilee!!

Elise&Dan said...

WOW what a busy time. Congrats on all the "highs" going on. I'm glad that their aren't any lows.

My sister in law just got a job in Labor and Delivery. She went back to school, did an intern at a assisted living facility, and graduated while having 3 kids at home. Her kids were a little bit older than yours, and were in school most of the day. She worked slow at it, but she loves her job! I think you would be a great nurse!

Aaron & Brittney (Dayton) Bond said...

Man! You guys are so busy! That is great about Seth's job. That would be so awesome to be a NICU nurse. Brynlie spent 2 weeks in there and those nurses make all the difference to parents. It would be such a rewarding field! I could not imagine going back to school though and I only have 1 kid! I am sure you could do it but it would be a lot of work! Good luck!

mshjwj said...

I am glad you updated us about Lilee. I was wondering about her. Deflux is great - easy, outpatient surgery and we have never had a problem since. What grade was she?

The Carney Family said...

I love the update on your family. Freeman has been bit 3 times now and he is still ready to play with the dog an hour later. I'm glad that you guys figured out what Lilee needs and that you have a great doctor. Congrats to Seth on his promotion! I say go for the nursing degree. We had a friend that was able to support her family by working a few days a week while her husband went through school. It has great pay and very flexible hours. (So I've heard)
Thanks again for watching my kids the other day. Everyday Freeman asks, "Can we go to Keaton's house?... I want to go to Keaton's house!) This is our conversation every morning while driving to the gym.

The Hancocks said...

Wow! You've got a lot on your plates! Macy had to have all the urology tests done when she was 11 months when she had a UTI, although she didn't have the reflux. That will be so nice to get that taken care of. You would be a great nurse Nikki! Glad I found your blog! We'll definitely have to get together soon!

Jace and Heidi said...

Congrats on everything! YOU ARE a busy girl!! My sister in law got her LPN last year. It was every week- end for a year. Friday and Saturday classes and Sunday tests. She's taking a break before she starts a year for her RN (if that happens).
Thanks for subbing Hales class on Sunday. She thought you were great! And was so excited to mail her thank you card to Grandma.

Mark and Karen said...

Congrats and Good Luck...I think that about somes it up. It feels like deja vu trying to have kids at the same time again though you've actually had one since then. Crazy!! Actually I think it's great. You are an awesome mom and I love all your positive posts!!

Ren & Anna said...

Wow!!! Congrats to Seth!! What an awesome way to get a promotion. That is so great. And for you....I hope whatever you decide works out for the best! You'd be great at nursing but I'm sure it's hard to decide with such a young family.

Ashley said...

You are too cute Nikki!! I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing your take on different things. CONGRATS to Seth on the new job, how amazing how everything turned out!! Jake is now looking for a new job, his airline had to lay off 176 pilots, bummer for him. But hopefully in a few months we can see why and everything will be fine, until then, stress!! lol!!

The Kinsey Posse said...

My girls are the same age as yours and I'm waiting to get into the program...it's taken me 6 years to get to this point, and the moment I apply for the program, they cut the pre-reqs by more than half to make the process easier and faster for gals like you to pursue it. I've got plenty of tips...just give me a call!

nelson6 said...

CONGRATS on the job. Great update!

Michelle Hall said...

I'm so glad things worked out for you! UOP does have it's advantages sometimes :) I have been there almost 5 years now...and tomorrow I'll also find out about a promotion!

Nikki! Go back to school! You'll enjoy it because it means so much more now! :)

The Kurtzeborn Family said...

So glad things are falling into place for you guys! Good job to Seth for the promotion! I hope Lilee's surgery goes well. Thats so scary! We will pray for you guys! We miss you so much!

Ryan and Chelsea said...

Wow-you guys have so much going on! Congratulations on the job! Good luck with nursing. That would be a great career to fall back on. I'm so glad your son is getting better! And I hope everything goes well for Lilee! Keep us posted!

andreamatrix said...

Oh my! You've been busy. Hope life is slowing down a little bit. How are those stitches healing? Tough kid you got there. Praying for Lilee...