"You have nothing in this world more precious than your children. When you grow old, when your hair turns white and your body grows weary, when you are prone to sit in a rocker and meditate on the things of your life, nothing will be so important as the question of how your children have turned out. It will not be the money you have made. It will not be the cars you have owned. It will not be the large house in which you live. The searing question that will cross your mind again and again will be, How well have my children done?"

~President Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

We Busted Out!!

That's right...WE ARE HOME!!! I have never in my life been more excited to be back at home, in my own bed, in my own shower, with my own food, my own privacy, just my own family!! It has been such a trying time for us and we are so grateful for all of our friends and family who have kept us in their prayers each day! This experience has taught me so much about myself and I've learned a great deal about what to hold near and dear. I think I take for granted the fact that myself and my children are "healthy". I think I don't realize what a stressful experience it is for parents to watch their kids suffer day after day after day! It's the worst pain I've ever felt...mainly because it's not my own...I can't control what they feel and I can't stop it from happening. In high school I remember answering the following question..."WHAT IS ONE OF THE WORST FEELINGS?" Back then I answered "helplessness." I believe that I have faced my fears this past week and I am no closer to conquering them than I was when I was 16. So many times I just wanted to yell at the Dr's and make them stop or get them to "fix" my baby or I was angry that Heavenly Father wouldn't just let Keaton get better. It didn't take long, however, to look around the other hospital rooms and realize who had been there a week, two weeks, a month...I just cannot imagine! I began to feel lucky. Lucky that there were Dr's who were there and knowledgeable to "fix" my baby in time. Lucky that I had family and friends who were there to help us sort through the madness of the week and there to lift our spirits. I especially felt LUCKY that Heavenly Father cared enough to send me a precious child to bring me joy. I realized at the PUREST degree that Keaton, as are all of my kids, TRULY ARE Heavenly Father's children. He has BLESSED me with their presence and I feel grateful for whatever that blessing brings...even if it is worrying and praying that they are okay. I cannot explain the peace that came with that realization. Even though I am SURE, 100% POSITIVE, ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A DOUBT KNOW that motherhood will bring me MANY more days of worry and many more days of suffering on my child's behalf, I also know, with complete ASSUREDNESS, that it will be worth it. In the end, watching my child grow and be happy will bring me the greatest joy I could ever know. It already has!
*
*
Okay, enough rambling. Here are some pics. First, the bad, then the good!!
*
Here is Keaton BEFORE the incident:


Here is Keaton the morning AFTER:


*
Here he is at the hospital on Saturday afternoon:
His face was just morphed so bad from the swelling...he didn't look like the same kid!
*
And here he is TODAY: Cheetos and all!!

*
BEFORE everything happened, we actually had a REALLY great time up in Mayer with my parents!! It was a great relaxing trip!
*
Grandma and Lilee

Every night my dad would read Keaton a "bedtime story"...they are reading HEMMINGS magazine...it is of classic cars for sale. Keat LOVED it...look how enthralled they BOTH are!
Our PRETTY LITTLE PRINCESS on the deck outside...it was beautiful!

My cute munchkins!!

Look at those devil eyebrows!!

I just loved this picture...he's in deep thought...so peaceful!

TIRED little lady after a day at the pool!

BUT...not tired enough to keep from TACKLING daddy...

Although...I think he has the UPPER hand on this one!!
FUN times in the grass!!

*
*
We had a great time at grandma and grandpa's house!! We played in the sprinklers, went to the swimming pool, watched movies, met some new friends, ate some great food, and had a lot of fun just being together!! We love this 4th of July tradition we've started(3rd year in a row now)...hopefully next year won't end with such a BITE...errr...bang!!

15 comments:

Kara said...

Aw, poor Keaton :( That looks so owie. I'm glad he is doing better.

Proud Mommy of 3 said...

Poor little guy! That looks like it really hurt! So glad to hear he's better! SUPER CUTE KIDS!!!!!

Elise&Dan said...

That looks so awful! Did you know the dog that bit Keaton? What happened? I always tell Abree to ask people before she touches a dog, but Mason on the other hand, just runs right toward him. I'm scared that he will end up bitten some day. I got bit on my butt when I was little, and it took me a while to like dogs again. Anyhow, I hope he is feeling ok again.

Francis said...

I am so glad to hear that Keaton is alright. How incredibly scary! Don't worry, we'll all be there worrying together about our kids. You're a great mom!

Kristi said...

you are an incredible Mom! I can not imagine how hard this must have been for you all! I am so glad he is home and doing better! I am sure he will continue on the road to recovery just great!!!

Tamara Francis said...

Oh Nikki, That was hard to look at. I am so sorry that you had to go through a scary time like that. Your kids are just adorable.

nelson6 said...

AAAAGGHHH, that's just the worst, I'm so glad you are home safe and sound. The kids just turned pale when I told them what happened to your little man. Give him a squeeze for us!

Amie said...

He looks great today Nikki! Keaton is so darn handsome! I LOVE that first picture of him. You should get an 8x10 of that made! Oh the trials that teach us such valuable lessons. Your post was beautifully written.

Rochelle said...

I'm so glad everything has turned out so well. You really have a great attitude towards trials.

Donna said...

Those pictures of Keat seriously made me cry! I'm so glad to hear Keaton is doing better. I'm with Rochelle - you have a GREAT outlook on things. Lessons have been learned from you girl!

Mark and Karen said...

I'm so glad you are all home. I hear yah on how it feels to be back home after a trial like that. Here's to Keat getting better as fast as possible with no repercussions.

The Q Family 5 said...

Oh my gosh! That looks horrid! Poor Keat! I'm glad he is healing so well! Lilee is a doll! She is getting so big!

Shauna said...

Wow, that must have been so incredibly scary. I'm so glad he's okay!

Ryan and Chelsea said...

I'm glad you guys are home and that your little guy is getting better! In answer to your question about bangs, I LOVE them still. I think you would look super cute with bangs, by the way. And the thing is, they grow fast, so if you don't like it you can grow them out. I'm excited to see what you'll do!

Blair Family said...

oh my goodness! i am so sorry. what a nightmare. It really is so hard to watch your kids suffer!!!!Good luck, let me know if there is anything i can do!!!