"You have nothing in this world more precious than your children. When you grow old, when your hair turns white and your body grows weary, when you are prone to sit in a rocker and meditate on the things of your life, nothing will be so important as the question of how your children have turned out. It will not be the money you have made. It will not be the cars you have owned. It will not be the large house in which you live. The searing question that will cross your mind again and again will be, How well have my children done?"

~President Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The CALM before the STORM

That's what I think Lilee's unexpected sleep improvement was...
.
There is SO much to say and I FINALLY uploaded my pictures so there's SO many pictures to share. I'll start with the drama and then move onto the fun stuff!!!
.
.
SO...I think that Lilee sleeping through the night was a fluke...here's why!! On Tuesday, after sleeping from 9-9...Lilee went to bed about 11am for a nap. SHE DIDN'T WAKE UP UNTIL AFTER 3!! She slept for close to 5 hours and when she did finally wake...the poor thing had a temperature of 103.5*...yowza!! We called the dr. who MIRACULOUSLY got us in right away. After no signs as to what was causing the temp, the dr. decided to check for a Urinary Tract Infection(UTI). They stuck a catheter in my sweet girl and it DIDN'T WORK!! Sooo, they stuck a bag to her and sent her home for me to "collect" a sample and bring in the next morning. Honestly, at this point I felt AWFUL for subjecting her to that torture because I was sure she had a virus and this all seemed SO unnecessary. I KNOW the pain that comes from catheters and I just felt horrible. Well, we managed to get my sample and took it to the dr. yesterday morning. They took it back, did a test, came out and said, "it's POSITIVE"! My poor child!! SO, that was that. She had been spiking a fever all day, so I was giving her alternating doses of Tylenol and Motrin to keep it down. After a busy day we got home about 8 pm and she was SCREAMING and looked awful and was just on fire! We gave her the prescribed antibiotics, gave her some Motrin for the fever, and took it to see where we were at...105.3*...I didn't even know that was possible. I was SO worried. Dan came over and he and Seth gave her a blessing that she would be okay and her fever would go down. After that, we headed to Urgent Care and were there within the hour. Her fever had gone down CONSIDERABLY by the time we got there...the Priesthood is a WONDERFUL blessing and I am so grateful for a husband worthy to perform such wonderful blessings for his family!! They pricked her heel to test how many white blood cells she had. Normal is 10,000, she had 23,000....not good. They were worried that the infection may have gotten into her bloodstream, so they needed more blood to send for a culture. That was the worst thing I have ever experienced. My POOR child was screaming as some half-witted cannibalist (I'm exaggerating) stabbed her repeatedly for upwards of 4 minutes straight. It was truly heartbreaking and at some point I just told him to stop and almost threw up I felt so bad for her. They get their blood. THEN...they have to come in and give her a shot of the antibiotics to "jump start" the oral ones and get them going. I comment to the nurse that it can't be worse than the blood draw and she had the AUDACITY to say, "OH...this is MUCH worse...yeah, this one burns as it goes it...it's quite painful"!! HELLO?! Did I REALLY need to hear that?! She gets her shot and at this point is just exhausted, along with a very sad mommy and daddy. So, although we have been sleeping more...we are more tired...how did that happen?! Long story, LONG...we won't know anything for sure until Monday when all the cultures come back. I could go into best case, worse case...but we'll just wait until we know something more and I'll just share that!! This has been WAY too long winded as it is!!
.
.
ONTO the fun stuff...We've been busy this month. I'll post pictures with captions, rather than explain everything!!
.
.
We spent a weekend up north is Mayer with my parents at the beginning of the month. Their neighbor had this horse that seemed so friendly. We had no problems until the owner came out and informed us that he bites...that's all we had to hear to get Lilee's little sausage fingers outta there!


More from Mayer


Lilee had her first taste of spaghetti while there also.
Here she isn't so sure of it...

Not bad...

The end result

.
Keaton took two weeks of private swim lessons with a friend in our ward at church. She was great with him. He did so well and has actually even gotten better since they ended!! We're so proud of him...here are the ONLY pictures that us LAME-O parents managed to take!!



.
PLENTY of yard work to be done now that the grass is growing green again. Good thing we have Keat to help daddy out...although, I'm sure Seth wishes he could mow the lawn in HIS diaper...er...underwear also!!:)
That's us...be sure to check back next week to hear about our latest adventure!!:)

9 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh my goodness that is soooo scary! I hope that she is ok (I am sure she will be. We will keep her in our prayers!

Cody, Angela, Jacob and Aidan said...

I totally understand where you are coming from! Jacob had to have his blood drawn several months ago for his peanut allergy and it was a horrible experience!!! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I hope the Lilee is better soon.

Ashley said...

OH NO!!! Poor little Lilee!! I'm so sorry she had to go through all that, I pray that she will be better fast. I'm so sorry Nikki!!

kimber said...

I'm so sorry for Lilee. I so so know what it's like to watch your baby get pricked so many times. I bawled when Tyler was in the hospital for 9 days. Hopefully she's getting better!
Call me anytime to come swim!!

Rochelle said...

I feel so bad for sick little kids. They don't know why they feel so yukky and they reallly don't understand that we are trying to help them. I remember crying my eyes out when Alyssa and Tannon kept spiking fevers and wheezing with pnuemonia...and of course no priesthood member at home! I'm so glad your hubby is around for all of this.

nelson6 said...

Holy Moly, that's way scary Nik, keep us posted and we'll keep miss Lilee in our prayers for sure!

nat said...

Nikki I am so sorry about the UTI. They are Awful. Hope that she gets feeling better soon. By the way her camo pants are so cute. Good Luck. Nat

Mark and Karen said...

What a yucky experience for you and Lilee. At least Lilee won't remember it. That is the worst part about being a mom...watching your babies go through pain and there is nothing you can do about it. I hope she feels better "speedy quick".

Rae said...

I don't know how I would get through all that. It sounds like you guys are doing great with it all.WOW super parents,j/k but really it sounds hard and you sound like your staying positive. I want to say I am proud of you but it sounds funny. So instead I'll say good job(hee,hee) I don't know what I am talking about.